Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Learning the Hard Way: Buying Fish

I really like to make sure my kids eat healthy, and that means getting Omega 3s into them as much as possible. About once a week, I buy fish, usually salmon, and they promptly devour it. This past week, however, the salmon was expensive, but the red snapper was cheaper. The red snapper came as a whole fish, head and fins and all. I ordered two pounds of it, like I do with the salmon. What I didn't factor in was how much of these big fish was actually edible. My husband didn't know how to fillet them, so we had a neighbor come over who is a fish-fanatic, and he did the filleting. What was left when he was done was four VERY small fillets, to feed six of us! That cost me $18.00!!! I felt pretty stupid, though my husband was gracious. Lesson: buy fish that is already prepared so you get the most for your money!

No comments:

Post a Comment